[Box Backup] Box backup and rotating media

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 13:55:39 GMT 2005

On 1 Dec 2005, at 12:34, Eelco Jepkema wrote:

> * Ben Summers <ben at fluffy.co.uk> [2005-12-01 12:10]:
>> Locking is only advisory on UNIX. So the only problem is potentially
>> backing up files which are being modified at the time. However, lazy
>> mode waits for a few hours after the last modification time to avoid
>> this issue.
>
> The fileserver is a UNIX server so locking will happen :).

Which UNIX is this? With the standard UNIX model, locking is advisory
only and not enforced by the OS. And being root overrides everything
anyway.

> However i'm
> interested in knowing what happens if (in snapshot mode) Box Backup
> arrives
> at a locked file.

It will read the contents.

> Will it send an error to a log? Will I be able to see
> which files specifically were not backed up so I can determine wether
> further manual action needs to be taken? Or even better, will it
> send a
> report via e-mail after the snapshot was taken?

Box Backup rightly assumes that it will be able to read anything it
wants. Problems reading files are logged, and since bbackupd assumes
that something has gone really wrong, it restarts the scan after a
delay.