[Box Backup] exception Server BadSocketHandle (3/4) on Windows

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 08:20:57 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm new to boxbackup; this is my first submittal to the list.

I have boxbackup (finally) running fine from my WinXP box client to my
ubuntu hoary box server/store.  I'm now trying to get it to run as a
service in WinXP.

On the WinXP client:

~/trunk/distribution/boxbackup/contrib/cygwin/install-cygwin-service.pl

gave:

cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error
1062:

And the log showed:

bbackupd: exception Common OSFileOpenError (Can't open a file --
attempted to load a non-existant config file or bad file referenced
within?) (1/2)

So I tweaked the registry:

HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/BoxBackup/Parameters/AppArgs

from:

/etc/box/bbackupd.conf SINGLEPROCESS

to:

C:\cygwin\etc\box\bbackupd.conf SINGLEPROCESS

and that resulted in the log output:

Starting daemon (config: C:\cygwin\etc\box\bbackupd.conf) (version
0.09_autoconf_win32)
Parameter = 5274340.
exception Server BadSocketHandle (3/4) -- terminating

Searching the entire mailing list archive found no mention of that
exception that I could tell.

Desperately:
$ grep -i sock /etc/box/bbackupd.conf
# Where the command socket is created in the filesystem.
#CommandSocket = /var/run/bbackupd.sock
CommandSocket = C:\cygwin\var\run\bbackupd.sock
$ chmod 777 /var/run/bbackupd.sock
$ ls -al "C:\\cygwin\\var\\run\\bbackupd.sock"
-rwxrwxrwx  1 Owner None 0 Dec 19 01:02 C:\cygwin\var\run\bbackupd.sock
$ cat "C:\\cygwin\\var\\run\\bbackupd.sock"

$

The server log shows nothing ("of course" I think).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete