[Box Backup] Observations on Win32 client

Nick Knight boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 22:07:48 GMT 2005

Hello All,

Backupctl pretty much fixed - I have converted it to using win32 named
pipes, just in testing haze now.

I am happy to start releasing the source code whenever I perform a
release of the binary, I was waiting to get it merged into the main
source but I know Ben is very busy and a couple of people have requested
it.

I have been thinking about running a separate SF project for the win32
client - mainly cos I am having difficulty tracking the bug list, unless
anyone has got any other suggestions, I could run my own web bug
tracker.

The restore file modified restore; I have never looked into, but will
add to my list of fixes!

The gui when I have time I will start, I have a windows front end for
rsync which should port over quite nicely, but I just need the time!

Next major fixes are backing up ACL's (I suppose this would fix the file
time stamps).

Adding a bandwidth throttle at the application level is always a bit of
a cludge, and doing it at the firewall is always more accurate, but I am
for some form of throttle, it should be quite simple to implement, but I
don't want to start making too many changes from Ben's source.

Regards

Nick