[Box Backup] Exclude lists

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 20 23:07:10 GMT 2005

Hi Ben and all,

I have a quick question for you. In
boxbackup-0.09/lib/backupclient/BackupClientMakeExcludeList.h, directory
and file exclusions are treated in exactly the same way, So backup
location ExcludeFile and ExcludeDir directives end up in the same list, as
do Exclude(File|Dir)(sRegex)? and the corresponding
AlwaysInclude(File|Dir)(sRegex)?.

Is there a reason for the file/directory distinction? Would it make sense
to simplify the configuration syntax to eliminate the distinction between
files and directories?

I say this because I've restarted work on my cross-platform GUI for
Boxbackup, this time concentrating on using the existing functionality,
rather than extending Boxbackup to include more status information. This
way I can help more people sooner, without upsetting you by submitting bad
patches to Boxbackup :-)

The GUI still needs a lot of work, but if anybody would like to see it,
then they are welcome to drop me an email. I am happy to release the
source under the GPL, but I would like your written permission to do so,
if it's not too much trouble, as it includes a copy of the Boxbackup
source, and relies on much of the code, and I think that I may need your
permission to distribute it as such.

Be warned that currently, it doesn't have much functionality. You can
inspect some aspects of your configuration, but not change them yet, and
you can see a list (tree) of files on the server, but not manipulate them
yet.

C++ programming is really hard (for me, as a beginner). Hats off to you
Ben for your hard work on Box. Writing my own (medium-sized) C++
application has given me a better idea of just how much work you must have
had to do in writing Box.