[Box Backup] Exclude lists

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 10:20:02 GMT 2005

On 22 Feb 2005, at 10:12, Jamie Neil wrote:

> Martin Ebourne wrote:
>> Not the standard 4 clause BSD licence as used for Box - it contains
>> the
>> attribution clause ("contains software written by...") which is not
>> compatible with the GPL. (See the gnu site for a detailed
>> explanation.)
>> I believe what you say would be true for the modified 3 clause BSD
>> licence (the same, but missing the attribution clause), but that's not
>> relevant here.
>
> I wasn't aware of this distinction - I stand corrected.
>
> Ben - not wishing to seem rude, but is the attribution clause
> important to you?

A fair question. I'm afraid the answer is yes, though. There's quite a
bit of work in Box Backup, and a load of generic useful bits and
pieces. While I'm happy for people to use it for whatever they want
(because I have benefited from the work of others released under the
BSD license) I did write it during time I could have spent on paid
work. As such I wouldn't mind a little acknowledgment in return if
someone decides to use it commercially.