[Box Backup] bbstored/bbackupd communication ports

Robert Shaw boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 21:22:45 GMT 2005

On Jan 19, 2005, at 1:07 PM, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> Just curious as to why you'd want to tunnel over SSH. After all, the
> whole point of box backup is that it's a remote, secure, encrypted
> backup solution. (In fact in addition to the data being encrypted on
> the
> client, the whole protocol is encrypted once more by an SSL layer.)

Basically because I have to. I essentially have to setup a mini-VPN
using SSH while I'm at work to connect to home. My machine(laptop) at
work does not have direct access to the internet. So I have to tunnel
through SSH on our outgoing internet connection machine to login to
home (and use proxies to get to the web). I then just port forward the
necessary ports from home to my laptop and viola I can connect to my
email, etc. So I'm just trying to add boxbackup to the port forward
list so that my backups will still run while I'm connected at work.

If my laptop could connect directly to my home machine, I wouldn't do
this, and would just run boxbackup directly to my server at home. :) It
would be much easier that way, but our network folks here won't allow
all machines to the internet directly.

Good question though! :)

-Robert