[Box Backup] Assertion failure

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 10:35:11 GMT 2005

On 20 Jan 2005, at 02:17, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just got the following assertion failure while testing boxbackup
> 0.09:
>
> ASSERT FAILED: [dirid == mObjectID] at
> BackupClientDirectoryRecord.cpp(820)
> Exception thrown: CommonException(AssertFailed) at
> BackupClientDirectoryRecord.cpp(820)
>
> Any ideas?

The inode tracking is out of date -- something has changed and the
system has reused the inode number. This is actually harmless, and in
the usual release builds is not checked.

You're running a debug version of the daemon. The check is desirable
there, because inode reuse over the lifetime of a test daemon run is
incredibly unlikely, suggesting a bug which should be caught.

I shall add a comment to the source about this.

If you're modifying the code, look into it. If you're just running the
daemon to back up your files, swap to the release version. You might
also want to wipe the contents of /var/bbackupd just to be on the safe
side.