[Box Backup] Assertion failure

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 20:29:51 GMT 2005

Hi Ben,

> You're running a debug version of the daemon. The check is desirable there,
> because inode reuse over the lifetime of a test daemon run is incredibly
> unlikely, suggesting a bug which should be caught.

OK, that explains it, thanks.

> If you're modifying the code, look into it. If you're just running the daemon
> to back up your files, swap to the release version. You might also want to
> wipe the contents of /var/bbackupd just to be on the safe side.

I deliberately hacked the makebuildenv.pl to remove the RELEASE flag,
because I wanted to see the debugging messages, hoping that they would
help me to work out why exclusions aren't working for me, in the spirit of
Kernighan's views about preferring debug statements to debugger sessions.
However, they turned out not to be as useful as I hoped, and I hadn't
anticipated the side effects. Sorry for the confusion.