[Box Backup] embedded

dm boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 06:16:56 BST 2005

Ben Summers wrote:

> On 2 Jun 2005, at 06:42, dm wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm masochistic or something, but before I go treading into
>> unknown territory, I was just wondering if anyone has looked at
>> getting a server up and running on any sort of embedded device.
>> Specifically I'm looking at the linksys nslu2 nas with the custom
>> unslung firmware(http://www.nslu2-linux.org).  They have a pretty
>> decent howto document on implementing packages into unslung, but I
>> know very little of these programming languages(I'm more of a perl/
>> shell monkey).
>
> As a first go, have you tried compiling it natively?
>
>    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/NativelyCompileUnslungPackages
>
> You're right, it is an interesting prospect to produce a tiny backup
> appliance. The server doesn't actually need much in the way of CPU,
> as the client does the really hard work. Your graphs don't indicate a
> huge amount of work, a reasonable embedded processor will be fine.
>
> Ben

Finally got some time to mess with this thing...  Since this isn't the
standard configure script most packages use, I'm skipping the packaging
section for now and going straight to compiling.
Natively compiling, so far I've tried configure with no options, and
I've tried specifying the lib and include folders explicitly.  If all
else fails, I might get to learn a bit about cross compiling.(I've
read/heard that it can be quite painful the first time)  =)

libstdc++.so.5 exists as a link in /opt/lib/
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      18 Jun  2 07:50 /opt/lib/libstdc++.so ->
libstdc++.so.5.0.7
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root      18 Jun  2 07:50 /opt/lib/libstdc++.so.5 ->
libstdc++.so.5.0.7
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4569715 May 25 12:18 /opt/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7

Any hints for the output below would be helpful.

-bash-2.05b$ ./configure compile:-I/opt/include link:-L/opt/lib
Box build environment setup.

Checking environment...
Compiler 1: yes
Compiler 2:./envtest: error while loading shared libraries:
libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 no

================

The C++ compiler fails basic C++ tests. It is impossible to compile and
deploy this
software on this platform.

Some less common platforms do not have a working C++ implementation,
especially
regarding modern language features such as exceptions. A basic test
failed. It is
unlikely that you will be able to use this software without fixing the
compiler.

You could try a later version of the compiler, if available.

Aborting configuration, cannot build in this environment.
-bash-2.05b$

Thanks!
d©m