[Box Backup] Boxwin On Server 2003 (somewhat solved!)

Mike Bydalek boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 06:31:41 BST 2005

Mike Bydalek wrote:

>>> Do the BackupLocations 'test1' and 'test2' exist on your 2003
>>> computer? I just tested a situation where the BackupLocation didn't
>>> exist. That caused the (1/9) exception to be thrown.

The trailing slash was causing the problem in the Path setting.  I
thought something was amuck when I put in Path =
C:\Some_NonExistant_Directory\, and I received the same error.  So then
I started to play with it some, and when I took off the trailing slash,
bam! - there it went!

Now that it's actually backing up, there are 2 more problems that I can
now focus on.  The first is that in Boxwin 0.09g, there is no
StoreObjectInfoFile setting, and if set, bbackupd errors out.  In 0.09h,
it's there, but I always get the "no .dat file exists, will cache it
upon next connect, etc.," yet it never creates the file.  On XP, this
works perfectly.

Secondly, on one of my test 2k3 servers, if you run bbackupd, and do a
sync, and then do another sync, it works as expected.  But, on my other
2k3 server, if you fire up bbackupd, then run a sync, everything works
great.  But if you try to run another sync, all that is displayed is
"Connection from command socket" and then nothing else.  I even ended
the current bbackupd.exe, and then started it back up, and when I run a
sync, that's the only message I get.

The only way I found that works to "reset" that error, is to wipe the
Box Backup dir, and then copy and paste a backup of the inital install
with my certs and conf.  Once I do that, it works just fine on only the
first sync, and then all other sync's just make the daemon display that
"Connection from command socket" error.

Also, just as a note, the server that works is a member of a NT4 domain,
and the one that stops working is an AD server.

I'll still keep chugging away at it, but it seems Windows 2003 handles
things just a little differently.

-Mike