[Box Backup] Error 2/8

john boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jun 28 11:53:12 BST 2005

Hi!

Successfully I installed boxbackup for the first time, the server is a
linux machine, the first client is running under cygwin. But there
were some troubles in the process, which I think could have been
circumvented.

One on my list is this error message:

Jun 28 12:06:19 frodo bbstored[6740]: in server child, exception
RaidFile OSError (Error when accessing an underlying file. Check file
permissions allow files to be read and written in the configured raid
directories.) (2/8) -- terminating child

After looking for the cause for some hours in the complety wrong
direction, resulting in quiet some frustration, I found the problem
via strace. An unfinished write call was the last thing before giving
the error. Call me stupid using a nearly full partition, but the error
was trivialy triggered by the fact, that the partition was completly
filled by boxbackup.

If the error message wouldn`t have suggested, that something is wrong
with permissions, but just give a disk full error, I think I would
have fixed the problem instantly.

Additionally I really had some permissions problems beforehand and
would have been appreciated, if the error messages would have listed
the filename of the files that caused the errors.

Sorry for the bad english...

cu
John