[Box Backup] bbackup as tool to synchronize two machines

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 15:19:31 GMT 2005

On 3 Mar 2005, at 15:13, Doug Poland wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 03:05:01PM +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
>> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 08:59 -0600, Doug Poland wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a tool/tools to keep two machines synchronized.  The
>>> requirement is that changes made to conf files on one machine be
>>> reflected on another.  I'm not trying to mirror entire drives, just
>>> selected conf files and some user data.  To be more precise, one
>>> machine
>>> is the primary production box, the other is a "warm" spare, or,
>>> failover
>>> box.
>>
>> Box isn't the right tool for this, not least because it stores
>> everything encrypted on the backup server, which is not much use to
>> you.
>>
>> rsync or unison would seem to be a much better fit.
>>
> I was going to use rsync before I came across boxbackup.  I like the
> idea of using lazy mode to keep backups running unattended and in "near
> real-time".

Run rsync / unison more frequently? Maybe choose unison as it seems to
keep some handy data around to make it more efficient. bbackupd's lazy
mode is basically equivalent to a scan every hour.

Restoration does not work the way you want it to work. You cannot do
file synchronisation with Box Backup. It is a backup tool, designed for
backing up data.