[Box Backup] some ideas on one problem

Nick Knight boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 20:06:58 GMT 2005

Hello all,

Just some thoughts to the resolution to the problem I asked about in my
last posting. This is the issue that box backup can get into a state
where if a file is larger than the difference of the soft and hard limit
then it would end up never getting backed up.

My thoughts are instead of the house keeping removing files to make
space for incoming files, would it not be better to have one limit, and
when a file gets either deleted or replaced by a later version, then it
is simply added to a 'queue'. Then when a backup happens, if there is
not enough space in the store, then the daemon would start removing
files from the 'queue' in the form of a fifo.

This would solve the above problem, and also would also have the added
advantage of in some situations retaining old data for longer?

Just some of my thoughts?

Nick