[Box Backup] TLSReadFailed

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 18:43:45 GMT 2005

Hi Ben and all,

I'm currently working on implementing restore functionality in Boxi, and
hope to have it ready for a new release within a week or so. However, I
have come across some interesting issues on which I would like to ask
your help.

Firstly, I'm not sure that I understand the difference between the Get and
Restore commands in bbackupquery, but it appears that Get only works on
files, and Restore only works on directories? If so, could they not be
combined into a single command that works on either files or directories?

Secondly, if I try to Restore a file (not a directory) by object ID using
bbackupquery, then the program aborts with a TLSReadFailed error and no
further information. An exception object seems to have been sent from the
server (a BadDirectoryFormat exception) but bbackupquery ignored it and
threw a protocol error. Is this worth fixing? It seems like a bug to me.

Thirdly, if the server throws any kind of exception, which results in a
TLSReadFailed on the client, the stream becomes unusable after that point
and must be closed. This is rather annoying for interactive applications.
Would it be hard to fix the client to handle exceptions properly and keep
the stream alive?

Thanks very much for your help!