[Box Backup] Moving a server to RAID

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 09:54:26 GMT 2005

On 15 Mar 2005, at 09:38, dave bamford wrote:

> 1. Is it possible to move this data and just pick up where one left
> off?

Yes. There are restrictions. Make sure you move the data and put it
back where it was before -- do the process without altering the
contents of /etc/box and it'll work.

> 2. Would you recommend the mobo RAID or the FC3 sw RAID?

Others will have to answer this. I don't use Linux, except to test Box
Backup.

> 3. How can I copy the data as I only have 2 SATA connectors on the
> mobo?
> I thought maybe of copying the data first to an IDE drive then back to
> the new
> SATA drives. Perhaps there is a better way?

Send it over a network connection to another machine using tar, get it
back similarly?

> Another quick question.
> Is it possible to have 2 ListenAddresses on the server as I have 2
> NICs one
> on the internal network and one external real IP address. To run
> backups on the
> internal network the data currently has to go through our ADSL router
> and
> back in again and the ADSL router is only 10Mb/s ethernet whereas the
> internal
> network is all 100Mb/s

Yes. There is a reason that "ListenAddresses" is in the plural.
Separate entries by commas:

	ListenAddresses = inet:10.0.0.1,inet:10.0.0.2

Don't put any spaces anywhere in that line.