[Box Backup] Client distribution schemes?

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Mar 22 14:25:53 GMT 2005

On 21 Mar 2005, at 18:57, Per Thomsen wrote:

> I've been looking around for open-source ways to do automatic updates
> of software, and haven't had much luck.
>
> What I'd like to be able to do is to update the client software
> (bbackupd), in an automated fashion, like Windows Update, or OS X
> Software Update.
>
> Does anyone here know of OSS projects that do this?
>
> I would consider writing something like this, but would obviously like
> not to re-invent the wheel.

I began writing such a thing when I found there was nothing which did
quite what I needed.

Maybe stuff like the debian apt-get thing might work if used with a
private repository and on a cronjob?

Or just a simple script to download a file, check it's signed by the
right key, and untar and run a script within if it is?