[Box Backup] Code in SVN -- review notes

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 15:55:34 GMT 2005

On 1 Nov 2005, at 06:26, Jonathan Morton wrote:

>> chromi/diffopt
>> ==============
>> static int sMaximumDiffTime = 600;             // maximum time to
>> spend diffing
>>     -- not sure whether this is good or not?
>>

> It helps to find more matching sections when working with large,
> complex files, which tends to save bandwidth and may allow more
> past revisions to remain stored.  The time can always be overridden
> by the configuration file - this just adjusts the default.

I would prefer the default was small, but overridden in the default
config file to be large.

> Something I noticed on OSX, though - is it really wall-time or CPU-
> time being measured for that?  Unless/until a keep-alive is set up
> for the connection, wall-time is necessary in order to reliably
> avoid timeouts.  (Or, I have a more invasive revision idea to the
> diff/recipe code, which would solve about three problems at once -
> the timeouts included.)

It should be elapsed time (wall-time?), not CPU time, for precisely
this reason. Unless I've made a mistake.

>> Style: A tendency to place {'s on the same line as ifs and whiles.
>> And "} else {"...
>>

> I thought I'd caught all of those.  What did I miss?

lib/backupclient/BackupStoreFileDiff.cpp, all over the place.

Other people's coding styles are just so _inconsiderate_... :-)

>> Is docs/backup/encrypt_rsync.txt changed, or just renamed? Use svn
>> rename first anyway.
>>

> Both, I think.  I did use the appropriate SVN command to rename it,
> but this might not show in 'svn diff'.

That would be it.