[Box Backup] BlockSize and large file diffs

Gary boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 17:21:52 GMT 2005

Ben,

> >         BlockSize = 10240

> Your script would find that this makes absolutely no difference.
> These settings affect storage on the server only. Diffing is done on
> the client.

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the server block size was
affecting the size of a client size "block" that was used during
cutting up large files into pieces for client/server comparison. What
would follow, naturally, would be the numer of block checksums
downloaded from the server, and the number of comparisons made for each
large file.

Question: is there any way to control the block size that is used for
the diffing algorithm? Theoretically, it should be possible to set the
diffing block size of a 500MB file to, say, 1MB, and have only 500
blocks to compare (500 * sizeof(checksum) to download), instead of,
say, 51200 10Kb blocks to compare (51200 * sizeof(checksum) to
download).

Do I understand the diffing process correctly, here?

Gary