[Box Backup] SVN repository up and running

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 10:54:11 BST 2005

I've just installed SVN and imported my latest Box Backup sources,
which are essentially 0.09 plus a few tweeks, including the gcc4
stuff. The repository is at

    http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/

and the current version is at

    http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/trunk

hopefully following usual SVN conventions. The repository does not
require a password for read only access.

I would like developers to copy the trunk to a working directory

    http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/USERNAME/TASKNAME

and then work there, and once everyone is happy, merge back into
trunk. No direct commits to trunk, please.

Before you start work on anything, please email me. I will coordinate
the tasks. At this stage we have to pull in lots of work, it's
important to try and get an order of merging which causes least
issues. I think we'll try for smaller changes first.

We may need a boxbackup-dev mailing list shortly.

---------------------------------------
BIG IMPORTANT NOTE: All the files in the distribution have the
license as the first page or so. None of the files in the repository
do -- they're added by the makedistribution.pl script. Please do not
accidently add the license when you copy in your work.

Also, I would ask that people match the style of coding (see previous
discussion on the list). I will back out any change which doesn't
meet it, just to avoid getting everything in a mess.
---------------------------------------

My time is a bit limited at the moment, but I promise I will attend
to all relevant tasks in a timely manner. I hope others will make it
easy for me to do so.

A few requests:

Developers: Please email me off-list with your preferred username,
and I'll set you up an account.

SVN experts: Could someone post some working guidelines to the list,
including all the weird and wacky SVN commands we'd need to run? (I'm
especially interested in how to review changes then merge them into
truck.)

Finally, I would like to backup the repository to two other places. I
suspect rsync is probably the best tool for the job, given the
incremental file adding nature of fsfs SVN repositories. Can I take
up a couple of the offers of server space?

Sorry this has taken so long.