[Box Backup] Restoring files / directories

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 13:52:42 BST 2005

Have you see this? http://boxi.sourceforge.net/

> I've stumbled
> upon 2 things :
>
> 1) Restoring a directory with all of it's contents (recursive)
> works ok,
> but it won't restore deleted files. This can be done using the '-d'
> flag,
> but has to be done a second time and using another destination.
> Imo, this
> is very inconvenient. When I want a full recursive restore of a
> directory,
> I would like to restore ALL files at once.

Really? Surely the point of a restore is to retrieve the state of the
backed up files at the last backup run.

> My suggestion, add an '-a' flag so that all files and directories
> (also
> deleted onces!) are restored to the given destination.

I'm not convinced this is a good plan.

> 2) Restoring a single file using 'get' still needs the correct
> directory
> when using the objectID. Why ? .. using a filename, I can
> understand that
> you should change (cd) to the right directory (since the same
> filenames
> can exist many times). But using a unique ID, why do you need to do
> this ?
> I recommend that Boxbackup gets the correct file when using the ID
> without
> the need to change to the correct directory, like it works with the
> 'restore' command.

Because of the way the server works (currently), it needs to know the
ID of the directory to restore a file. The request to the server has
to contain directory and file IDs.