[Box Backup] Coding standards

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 20:58:11 BST 2005

On 1 Sep 2005, at 20:33, Gary wrote:

>> No overloading of operators, especially not for i/o. Only exception
>>

> Once I read the subject, I knew this was gonna be in here ;) j/k.

Better people than I have explained in depth why operator overloading
is a Bad Thing.

>> Indent with tabs, with 4 character tab stops.
>> Bracing style: (...)
>>

> I think every programmer is most efficient and produces least bugs
> when
> he or she is using his or her own code-style and idioms (within
> reason,
> of course). We could always use an automated source code styler to
> bring everything into a uniform code universe.

Everyone would be welcome to work in the way they work best. I think
it would be appreciated by everyone to have a consistent style, but
how this is achieved is up to the individual. (As long as it doesn't
create spurious diffs in source control.)