[Box Backup] Traffic shaping ?

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 11:11:35 BST 2005

On 19 Sep 2005, at 10:41, Jani Mikkonen wrote:

> I ran boxbackup in centralized place for few offsite nodes as well as
> local nodes. The net link in the offsite nodes arent really good so i
> was thinking if there's any plans for traffic shaping so one could
> limit
> the bandwidth usage ?
>
> As a sidenote, im aware of the linux kernel options to make the
> shaping
> too but at the moment, i just wish to ask this simple question ;)

I have got traffic shaping on my list of features. However, given
that with most OSes it's trivially easy to do traffic shaping with
existing kernel features (for example, pf on OpenBSD), it is a low
priority task. Also, it would be a far more elegant solution to move
this function to the firewall, where non-Box Backup traffic could
take priority to give the backup all the bandwidth which isn't
currently being used for other purposes.

BTW, if anyone would like to code it up, I can give them pointers on
the best way to achieve it. It's not difficult, just a pain to test.

Ben

PS: Yes, plans are still underway to get the SVN server up. Almost
there...