[Box Backup] Connection Failures, Hostname Related?

Mike Bydalek boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 16:50:54 BST 2006

Stefan Norlin wrote:
>> I've been running into some issues with my Box Backup client as of
>> late.  Basically, when I try to run a 'bbackupctl -q sync', the logs
>> generate:
>>
>> Apr 23 17:48:00 fileserver bbackupd[12950]: Opening connection to server
>> domain.com...
>> Apr 23 17:48:00 fileserver bbackupd[12950]: Exception caught (7/15),
>> reset state and waiting to retry...
>> Apr 23 17:49:40 fileserver bbackupd[12950]: File statistics: total file
>> size uploaded 0, bytes already on server 0, encoded size 0

Hi Stefan,

In looking at the logs closer, I'm noticing that there's a discrepancy
with what I have in the conf file and what server it is trying to
connect to.  In my /etc/box/bbackupd.conf, I have the line:

StoreHostname = host.domain.com

The problem is, that in the logs, I just see the following:

Apr 24 08:44:48 fileserver bbackupd[12950]: Opening connection to server
domain.com...

Well, domain.com resolves differently than host.domain.com, probably
causing the problem.  I trying to set an IP for the StoreHostname
variable, but I don't see any difference, it still says "...server
domain.com..." in the logs.

If I set the StoreHostname to the IP address and grep for 'domain.com'
in /etc/box, I don't get any hits except those from the
NotifySysadmin.sh script.

So the million dollar question is: Where is it getting that value from,
and how do I change it?

Thank you in advance,
Mike