[Box Backup] Box Backup status

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Dec 3 15:17:54 GMT 2006

Hi Dennis,

> I've been meaning to upgrade the server to 0.10, but I understand that
> such an upgrade would require all clients to upgrade as well. Is there a
> feature in the works that will allow client / server upgrades to be done
> asynchronously?  I remember a discussion about that when 0.10 was
> released.

No such feature is "planned" (i.e. scheduled for implementation), although
I for one agree that it would be very useful and important, and I might
implement it myself if Ben doesn't veto it.

IIRC, his objection was that it's impossible to unit test every case of
client vs server versions. Just testing one version of the client with the
server is hard enough.

I agree with this, but I think that as part of an upgrade process, people
should be able to move smoothly from a supported pair (0.09
clients+server) to another supported pair (0.10 clients+server) via an
unsupported pair (0.09 clients + 0.10 server), on the understanding that
this unsupported state is much less reliable and tested, and therefore
only temporary and to be exited as soon as possible.

This could perhaps be encouraged by an options such as
"EnableDangerousBackwardsCompatibility = yes" in the store configuration
file.

I also think that it would be possible to test 0.10 server + 0.09 clients,
by adapting the current unit tests, although it would be quite messy.

> In short, can anyone give a short overview as to where the project
> stands, what near-future plans are, and when a new version is expected?
[...]
> p.s. I read the TRAC pages which show a lot of future work, but have no
> indication on where the development of said features is atm.

As far as I know, only the open tickets at
[http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/report/1] are being actively worked on.
Some of these will make it into the next planned version, 0.11, which will
hopefully be released early next year (but no promises). After that, there
is no definite feature set or timescale that I know of.

Sorry I can't be of more help.