[Box Backup] High CPU load since 0.10 on Windows

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Dec 29 12:24:26 GMT 2006

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 22:39 +0100, Andreas Schrafl wrote:
>> First once again thank you for this really easy and smooth application.
>>
>> Since I switched to BoxBackup 0.10 I'm having quite often some very
>> heavy CPU load produced by BoxBackup. Before I didn't even notice it. I
>> changed nothing in the config file. Is anybody also experiencing these
>> CPU load peeks? They quite often almost stall my Computer (opening a
>> new mail in Thunderbird took about 20 seconds compared to an instant
>> normally).
>
> Have you got any directories with lots of files?
>
> These are currently not handled well and will give the symptoms you
> experience. See the list archives for more info.

Also, are you using the latest build, 1096? If not, please try it. It's
available here:

   [http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/WindowsClientReleases]

Two bugs were fixed in build 716 which might be relevant:

* (Windows) Hopefully fixed the inaccurate sleep problem after backup
   errors, which might cause the daemon to wait much longer than expected
   before retrying, and use too much CPU while doing so.

* (Windows) Fixed infinite loop with 100% CPU usage when a read error
   occurs on the named pipe

If 1096 doesn't work for you for any reason, please tell us, but please
also give 716 a try. It's also available for download on the same page.