[Box Backup] Danish and other special chars

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 17:28:01 GMT 2006

Hi Mikael,

> Still some problems....
>
> Now it transfers the files to the server, but when I run the
> "bbackupdquery.exe" the names are wierd, in all the folders....

Yes, I saw that as well. it doesn't do any harm, the files are still
backed up as you saw, but it might be difficult to identify them from the
directory listing.

Unfortunately I don't know of any official policy for the encoding of file
names on the remote server. The file names are in UTF-8, but the Windows
console is unable to display UTF-8 properly. The easiest hack would be to
translate the file names from UTF-8 into local encoding when listing them,
but this might be worse if the local encoding is unable to represent them
properly.

I would be very interested to hear the thoughts of other developers anmd
users on what should be done here.