[Box Backup] Minor Account ID string format issues on server

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 09:56:18 GMT 2006

On 10 Feb 2006, at 18:24, E.W. Peter Jalajas wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A handful of really minor issues on the 0.09 server.
>
> I had a tiny bit of trouble monitoring my multiple clients on my
> server
> because of three things:
>
> 1.  the Account ID numbers in some places don't have leading zeros,
> depending upon whether you create the account with leading zeros.

The numbers in the certificate names come directly from what you type
in. (eg Certificate CN: BACKUP-1abc23d)

> 2.  the case of the Account ID numbers vary.

Protocol logging always uses lower case for numbers, no leading
zeros. Login messages use uppercase, with leading zeros.

> 3.  many log record types have no Account ID, so I can't tell which
> client each record belongs to.

The ones which look like Action(...) are dumps of the objects sent
over the wire. Most don't include the account ID because the protocol
doesn't need them. Use the PID in the logs to distinguish.

[snip]

> While I'm at it, is there a short list of key words that would be good
> to grep in the logs to check the health of my server and clients?
> I've
> been using "exception", "error", and "warning" (in addition to Account
> IDs and "login").

Should do.

> While I'm still at it, and showing how lazy I truly am, does
> housekeeping or other tool do a "bbstoreaccounts check" for all
> accounts and log it's findings good or bad.

No.

> Would that be appropriate
> and easy to code?

Yes, that would be easy to code. Maybe even easier to extend
bbstoreaccounts check to have an all option.

If you'd like to write up some notes on what you'd like to see in the
future, have a go on the wiki, here:

http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Feature_requests

This is also relevant:

http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/Future_design_changes