[Box Backup] Box and non-C++ clients

Todd D. Esposito boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 20:33:17 GMT 2006

Stefan,

On Wed, February 15, 2006 10:24, Stefan Norlin said:
> Hi,
>
> anyone who has any thought about other types of clients for
> use with Box Backup? For example a Java API for webapps
> or similar?

Yes, I've been toying with the idea for a couple weeks now, specifically
in creating a python binding for the client-side stuff, kinda an
alternative to bbackupquery.  I started poking around in the code, but no
real progress yet.  Got as far as the handshake and had to get to work on
other projects.

> Has anyone else have any more or less ongoing plans for things
> like this? I thought I would ask before I spend too much time playing
around with this.

I have plans, but don't we all?  I'd be happy to collaborate with you on
something.  I thought about creating a C library to wrap the functions
needed to communicate with the server as a starting point, since then
writing a python/perl/php/apache module to that single API should be
straightforward, and we reduce redundancies.

> Another thought is it would be great to be able to administer user
accounts, limits etc via the Box protocol in order to be able to build
for example a webapplication for Box central administration and
> another one to let users handle their archives.

I actually have a very crude first blush at this type of thing running
under php/apache2.  It's CLEARLY for an internal-only deployment.
Basically, you fill out a form, it generates you an account number,
certificates, encryption key, config file, and a windows installer for the
win32 client, plus boxi, plus all of the generated stuff, and sends it to
you, with a screen saying "please save to desktop ... blah blah."  It's a
good start, but basic, and only handles account creation, nothing for
(re)setting limits, getting status, doing a database check, or deleting
accounts.  This is all on the TODO.  And it's WAY too insecure to offer up
on a public access site, but for what I needed, it's good enough.

Thoughts?

Todd D. Esposito