[Box Backup] Release Candidate 3, gcc, g++, readline problems

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 19:53:55 GMT 2006

Thanks, Stefan.

As that faded poster on my mother's wall said, "Nothing takes the place
of persistence...".  I tried the symlink but that didn't work.  I
flailed around for an hour uninstalling and reinstalling gcc4 and
gcc3.4 or some such and getting different errors in config.log, and
then, finally:
  106  sudo apt-get install gcc  manpages-dev automake1.9 libtool flex
bison gcc-doc
  108  ./bootstrap
  109  ./configure
saw the cc1plus error again, googled it, found
which says:  Solved: # apt-get install g++
  111  apt-get install g++
  112  ./bootstrap
  113  ./configure
and the rest, they say, is:
  114  history

I noticed at the end of the ./config out that readline said no.
Large files:         yes
Berkeley DB:         yes
Readline:            no
Extended attributes: yes

Flailing, I drink exactly one (40 oz) beer, I swear, and got out my
apt-get shotgun:
  118 apt-get install libreadline4-dev
  119  apt-get install libreadline4
  120  apt-get install libreadline5-dev
but it still said no.  Then I shot again:
  126  apt-get install libedit2 libedit-dev libeditline-dev
and then readline worked (not sure if I needed ALL 3 editline packages
or ANY of the readline packages, and too compile-exhausted to rerun
it):
checking for editline library... -ledit
checking editline/readline.h usability... yes
checking editline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for editline/readline.h... yes
checking whether editline supports history... yes
checking for editline/readline.h... (cached) yes
Large files:         yes
Berkeley DB:         yes
Readline:            yes
Extended attributes: yes

Luckily, no one got hurt.

Eighteen hours later, I can report that I see the Extended attributes:
yes and all the mail traffic about xattr.  Let me know if you need me
to do anything with that (I have no idea what it all means or where I
would start).

Thanks again, Stefan, for pointing me in the right direction.

Ok, now where was I...

Pete