[Box Backup] Version 0.10 released

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 19:29:19 GMT 2006

Hi Pete,

> Thanks, Chris, for all your hard work!

Thank you!

>> I do believe that this is the best Win32 build yet, but I would not
>> advise you to use it as your only backup strategy on Windows.
>
> Which build would you feel comfortable advising us to use as an "only
> backup strategy on Windows" for micro- and small businesses?

First of all, not this one :-) I found a major bug during testing last
night. If you don't have StoreHostInfoFile enabled, and an exception is
thrown during the backup, it will stop backing up until it's restarted
(throwing an exception each time).

As yet there's no build that I know of that has been extensively tested
with a minimal number of bugs found, at least not since Nick's 0.09hWin32.
Unless people are willing to take a risk and try the new client, that
won't change, of course. However I would rather not recommend that people
use only one back strategy of any kind, unless they frequently verify
(compare) their entire backup set.

Meanwhile, as you can see, the win32 port is still in a state of flux, as
I slowly whittle down the list of known bugs, and new ones are discovered
and reported. Of course I'm not perfect, and sometimes I break something
while fixing something else, as in this case.

Not having a full test suite for win32 definitely doesn't help. How's the
test batch file coming along? The last one you sent me looks pretty good,
and I have some ideas that may help you - recent builds have a
"sync-and-wait" command so that you can be sure that a backup has been
run, and your newly created files should have been backed up.