[Box Backup] 0.10 release candidate 2

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 19:34:06 GMT 2006

Here's a release candidate for Box Backup 0.10:

http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/bin/boxbackup-0.09_plus2.tgz
    (corresponds to SVN revision 354)

Please test! Reports of whether or not the tests pass on various
platforms appreciated. Server and client versions must match with
this release. I'm sure someone will compile a Win32 version shortly.

This release is possible because of all the developers who have
joined the project since 0.09, and in fact, I didn't contribute all
that much. My thanks for all their hard work.

Now you lot need to give it a good thrashing so we can shake any
remaining bugs out for a nice solid 0.10 release.

Ben

Improvements from 0.09
* Optimised diffing algorithm -- massive speed improvements
* Improved diff timeout
* Keep-alive on long diffing operations
* Save state for non-server use, speeds up first sync after bbackupd
starts (EXPERIMENTAL, not enabled by default because there is no
automated test for this feature)
* Native win32 port integrated into main source tree, fixes and
improved build
* Support for MinGW and MSVC under Win32
* misc bug fixes
* ppc fixes
* solaris port
* xattr support (on at least Linux and Darwin, reports from other
platforms welcome)
* build system uses autoconf, improved environment checks and
platform support
* Readline usage clarified for licensing.

Known issues with this release:
* linux-ppc suffers from a compiler bug, which needs to be worked
around. Affects bbstored only -- use with caution.
* Win32 build scripts are not necessarily complete within the
distribution archive. Use SVN checkout if you have problems.
* A few compiler warnings which need fixing
* Win32 port has a security hole, command socket does not have
security descriptor to restrict the users who can control the daemon.

Thanks due to
* Nick Knight
* Gary Niemcewicz
* Martin Ebourne
* Chris Wilson
* Jonathan Morton

Note to developers:
* To make this release archive:
   svn checkout http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/trunk
   cd trunk
   infrastructure/makedistribution.pl boxbackup