[Box Backup] 0.10 release candidate 2

Martin Ebourne boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 23:24:03 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 15:17 -0600, Todd D. Esposito wrote:
> On Tue, January 31, 2006 13:59, Per Thomsen said:
> > [snip]
> >
> > Running test bbackupd in release mode...
> > ***********
> > Your platform supports xattr, but your filesystem does not.
> > Skipping tests.
> > ***********
> >
> > What file system can I use if I want to test extended attributes on
> > Linux (I'm using ext3)? I could probably find an old drive, and install
> > it, if it would help.
> >

> It's not a file-system thing, necessarily; xattr needs to be enabled in
> the kernel (well, in the fs {module} build, same difference); I don't use
> RH since 7.3, but I wasn't enabled back then IIRC, and appears not to be
> for you.

It's not a kernel thing, necessarily. Most distros have had xattr
enabled in the kernel for a long time.

It is a filesystem thing. Firstly it needs to be a filesystem that
supports xattr. ext3 and xfs are the main ones, reiserfs also if you
have the patches (which may even be in the main kernel now).

Then it's down to how it works with the filesystem. xfs has xattr
enabled by default and should just work. ext3 has the support disabled
to start with and you have to activate it with mount options. You need
to mount with the user_xattr option, and also the acl option is a good
idea. Put them in fstab, give them to mount with -o, or even set them on
the filesystem directly:

tune2fs -o acl,user_xattr /dev/xxx

> I can test it on my Gentoo Linux system with/without xattr, if you fellas
> would like.  I've been using 0.9 for a while now, and lurking here even
> longer, so maybe I can step up a bit?

Please do, the more tests the better.

Cheers,

Martin.