[Box Backup] Can Win32 client backup files from another machine?

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Jul 21 18:26:20 BST 2006

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I just got off the phone with my partner and
he had the idea to setup a new admin-group user called "backup" on all
windows machines in the workgroup/domain, and setup all the services
and shares as that admin user; we're going to try that early next week.

That may be essentially what you're suggesting, Stuart.  But I wonder
if your "run as" trick could be extendible to reach out to several
different machines in the workgroup/domain?   Your thoughts on that?

I guess, twisting this idea back on itself, could we set up the
"central box backup client machine admin user" as an admin with Full
Access rights on the other machines in the workgroup/domain (kinda like
a Domain Admin having Full Access rights on the local machines).

(I just want to remind any newer Box Backup readers out there that this
configuration is explicitly NOT recommended.  I believe this
dis-recommendation is primarily because it will most assuredly be
extremely wasteful due to repetitive "mark as deleted" and re-uploads
of entire backup stores as the workgroup computers disappear and
re-appear from the view of the central Box Backup client.)

Thanks again, Stuart,
Pete
<snip>