[Box Backup] Following Symbolic Links

Peter Porter boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 21:43:39 BST 2006

After reading comments from Martin and Ben, the associated problems
caused by an option like this are rather obvious.  I'm still not keen on
having to add two or three separate backup locations just to capture a
few files, but it makes sense.

I like the idea of having a mode that captures the related locations,
but that would involve something of an architecture change in how files
are organized.  The store would need to have a common root, or some
common naming structure to add the new locations.  This sounds like
overkill to solve this sort of problem.

> I don't think I would. Users should do things correctly or not at all.
> I do think the option of logging when there are symlinks pointing
> outside the store might be useful, so I'd be happy to add that. But
> then, do people look at their logs enough?
>
> Perhaps bbackupctl should have an option to show the status of all
> locations:
>
>   $ bbackupctl status
>   etc: OK, 2006-06-15T00:13:02 (5 hours ago), symlinks pointing
> outside store
>   home: In progress, 2006-06-14T00:13:02 (1 day ago)
>   old_stuff: Due for removal

This seems like the best answer -- provide a warning message that
external symlinks exist, or potentially list the external symlinked
locations if requested.  I am assuming that, to solve my problem,
writing a script that does this periodically will keep me from future
problems along these lines.  Run as part of a daily status report would
be ideal.

I appreciate everyone's input,
Peter