[Box Backup] Boxbackup beginner - Various questions.

Tobias Balle-Petersen boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 10:21:25 GMT 2006

Hello...

I have recently learned about boxbackup, and I am very impressed so far. I
have a server and client set up on OS X machines, and everything seems to
run just fine. I have a few questions I have not been able to find
documented on the sites (wiki/homepage).

Question 1:
Currently my server runs with just one raid file. I want to expand to a
three disk userspace raid setup in the near future. Can I change my
current config and have boxbackup create the missing two raid-disk
directories for me? Would I have to edit raidfile.conf manually ? My
current raidfile.conf is seen below.

disc0
{
        SetNumber = 0
        BlockSize = 2048
        Dir0 = /Volumes/raid/box
        Dir1 = /Volumes/raid/box
        Dir2 = /Volumes/raid/box
}

Question 2:
I plan to back up 1TB+ of data. Is this feasible with boxbackup? Theres is
a daily growth of data of about 2GB.

Question 3:
When restoring on the client, do I have do stop bbackupd before starting
the restore? I tried to restore with bbackupd running and restore was
painfully slow ? Server and client are on the same 100Mbps network.
Restore eventually failed.

Question 4:
Im experimenting with regex in my client config. For some reason, I cant
seem to get even the simplest rules right. Backing up my users
home-folders I want to ignore mp3 files, so I have tried adding the
example in the documentation and variations of it. The all result in the
"Exception caught (Common BadRegularExpression 1/31)" in the client log.
The client is an OS X machine (10.4)

homes
{
    Path = /Volumes/noriB1/opendir/homes
    REGEX_HERE
}

These are the regex's I have tried:
ExcludeFilesRegex = *.(mp3|MP3)$
ExcludeFilesRegex = *.mp3
ExcludeFilesRegex = *.mp3*
ExcludeFilesRegex = *.mp3$

What am I doing wrong??

Question 5:
Would it be possible for a client to backup to two servers at the "same"
time? I would like to have both onsite and offsite. Would I need to run
two clients with different configurations?

Thanks,
Tobias Balle-Petersen

Tobias Balle-Petersen / System Administrator
Kontrapunkt / Refshalevej 153 / 1432 Copenhagen K / Denmark
Tel +45 33 93 18 83 / +45 28 88 21 25 / tbp at kontrapunkt.com /
www.kontrapunkt.com