[Box Backup] Re: Boxbackup beginner - Various questions.

Tobias Balle-Petersen boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 09:40:50 GMT 2006

Hello Ben.

>> I plan to back up 1TB+ of data. Is this feasible with boxbackup?
>> Theres is
>> a daily growth of data of about 2GB.

>This should be fine. However, it does depend on how it's all laid
>out. If it's a few big files, then no problem. But thousands of small
>files in a single directory can make things a bit sluggish.

Sounds good... If things get "a bit sluggish" it would still run but be "a
bit slow"?

>> I tried to restore with bbackupd running and restore was
>> painfully slow ?

>It's not the fastest protocol ever, but it shouldn't be "painfully
>slow".

I restored a users home-folder with 5.5GB data in it. That took 5+ hours.
Is that normal? It's just that if I have to recover 1TB+ data in the
future, that would take a very long time. However, the home folder(s) have
a lot of small cache files that I don't need/want to backup. If I get rid
of those with a regex, maybe the speed would improve?

Thanks for the help with the regex. You suggestion worked out fine. I was
assuming that the regex'es I can use to list files in the shell etc would
work in the config file, but I guess it is different interpreter. Sorry.

>> I would like to have both onsite and offsite. Would I need to run
>> two clients with different configurations?

>Yes.

>Or you could rsync the store from the onsite to the offsite server at
>regular intervals.

In this situation, I would need to stop the boxbackup server before doing
the rsync right?

Thanks again for great software.

Regards,
Tobias Balle-Petersen

Tobias Balle-Petersen / System Administrator
Kontrapunkt / Refshalevej 153 / 1432 Copenhagen K / Denmark
Tel +45 33 93 18 83 / +45 28 88 21 25 / tbp at kontrapunkt.com /
www.kontrapunkt.com