[Box Backup] Raid Config

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 11:35:58 GMT 2006

On 16 Mar 2006, at 11:33, Steve Nelson wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Ben Summers <ben at fluffy.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> If you are using raid at the device level, whether hardware RAID or
>> software RAID in the kernel, you should not use Box Backup's userland
>> software RAID.
>
> Ah!! The penny drops.  I hadn't understood that Box Backup has its
> *own* software RAID functionality.  I shall re-read the documentation
> - I may just  have missed the obvious, or it may be that that needs to
> be spelled out more clearly.

http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/

Last point on the features list at the top:

Designed to be easy and cheap to run a server. Portable
implementation, and RAID implemented in userland for reliability
without complex server setup or expensive hardware. (optional)

How would you recommend making this point clearer? The Documentation
Project Needs Your Help!

    http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/DocProject

>> Just specify a single directory within /data to raidfile-config.
>
> Great - that's what I've done.

:-)