[Box Backup] boxi with 0.10 server? (resend)

Paul Nash boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun Mar 19 16:06:01 GMT 2006

[sorry, just hit "reply" to a message about the BSD ports, which dumped
this into the wrong place in the archive]

First of all, thanks and congratulations to all involved with Box Backup.
It's the first backup system that I've seen that meets my needs, and I've
been looking for years.

I'm trying to get boxi working on M$ Windoze, talking to the latest (0.10)
bbstored on FreeBSD.  The binary distribution is compiled against the 0.09
protocol, and the only source that I can find has the 0.09 libraries firmly
embedded.

I've started to do the port.  The eay part is hacking "configure" to drop
in the 0.10 libraries.  The hard part is getting it to compile under
Cygwin.  I took a brief look at using VC++, but decided that it would be
quicker and easier with Cygwin (less cross-platform cruft, plus I'm more at
home in a Unix environment).

Before I get too carried away, has anyone done this, or started with it?
Or started and given up?  I need a GUI client pretty soon, and the options
that I can see are to port boxi to 0.10 (preferred, but a fair amount of
work) or to write a VB/VC++ wrapper for bbackupquery/bbackupctl and use
that instead (quick and nasty).

Any experiences and/or thoughts that anyone wants to share before I take
the wrong path?

	paul