[Box Backup] 0.10 on Windows?

Paul Nash boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 16:14:40 BST 2006

Hi

First, thanks for all the work.  Box Backup is great, the basic concept is
fantastic, works very nicely.

I'm an old Unix geek, have deployed 01.0 on a FreeBSD 6.0 server, clients
on FreeBSD and MacOS X.  All works fine.  Now Im trying to bring in a bunch
of Windows boxen.

(A)

I can compile under cygwin, no problem, and bbackupd uploads files, they
verify correctly, can be retrieved.  If I delete a file, the store still
shows the file as being there.  If I change the file, the changed version
is uploaded and the old version flagged as "old" in the store, but I *also*
get an error message:

Backup object failed, error when reading ${filename}
Error code when uploading was (4/0), BackupStore Internal

A bit of initial hacking shows that the protocol thinks that it is about to
recieve an object 1651074168 bytes long.

(B)

I've tried to compile under VC++ as an alternative.  If I follow the
instructions in the wiki, and grab win32.bat and /lib/win32/config.h/win32
+ project files from subversion, I get compile-time errors (can't find
"winsock2.h", if I comment this out, I get other errors ...)

SO ...

Any pointers about where to start looking for the errors in the cygwin
version?  Alternatively, am I better served by starting from VC++, and if
so, any pointers about how to get 0.10 to compile?

I'm not keen to fall back to 0.09, but if I have to, I'll hack the 0.09
client and server to use a different port and run them in parallel.

TIA

	paul