[Box Backup] 0.10 on Windows?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 20:02:31 BST 2006

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 10:14 -0500, Paul Nash wrote:

> I can compile under cygwin, no problem, and bbackupd uploads files, they
> verify correctly, can be retrieved.  If I delete a file, the store still
> shows the file as being there.  If I change the file, the changed version
> is uploaded and the old version flagged as "old" in the store, but I *also*
> get an error message:
>
> Backup object failed, error when reading ${filename}
> Error code when uploading was (4/0), BackupStore Internal
>
> A bit of initial hacking shows that the protocol thinks that it is about to
> recieve an object 1651074168 bytes long.

This is probably the cause of (some of) the protocol errors detected by
the unit tests.

> I've tried to compile under VC++ as an alternative.  If I follow the
> instructions in the wiki, and grab win32.bat and /lib/win32/config.h/win32
> + project files from subversion, I get compile-time errors (can't find
> "winsock2.h", if I comment this out, I get other errors ...)

I strongly suspect that winsock2.h should be on your system. What
version of MSVC are you using? Do you have the Platform SDK installed
and linked in correctly? Did you use the included MSVC project files?

> Any pointers about where to start looking for the errors in the cygwin
> version?

Run the unit tests, make a list of the failures, debug them.

>  Alternatively, am I better served by starting from VC++, and if
> so, any pointers about how to get 0.10 to compile?

I've updated the Wiki pages to link to the latest native Windows build.
You can find the link at
[http://boxbackup.hostworks.ca/index.php/0.10].

This was built with MinGW rather than MSVC, because although I can build
it with VC Express 2005, I can't distribute the resulting binaries. So
if you roll your own with MSVC, you can probably expect slightly
different behaviour.