[Box Backup] Running bbstored as a user

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sun May 7 23:55:07 BST 2006

Hi Magnus,

> I'm trying to set upp bbstored from an ordinary Unix account (Fedora
> Core 4). I've modified the bbstored.conf and used that file path as a
> argument to bbstored.

That should work, but be aware that if Box Backup hits an unreadable file,
it may abort the backup run. It used to, and I think we fixed that
problem in 0.10, but I'm not sure.

> But what about loggin? I cannpt modify syslog or make a file in
> /var/log. Is there anpther way to see what's happening? Printouts on the
> screen, piped to a file?

Sorry, no other options yet (except syslog). We are planning to write a
logging system that would allow log messages to be directed wherever you
want, including multiple destinations, but nobody has got around to it
yet. You're welcome to volunteer :-)