[Box Backup] bbackupquery strange issue

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed May 10 14:43:32 BST 2006

Hi Ben,

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Ben Summers wrote:

>> Ben, perhaps if we detect HAVE_VALID_DIRENT_D_TYPE and compile with it
>> enabled, then we should add a check that d_type is correct for the "." and
>> ".." directories, and maybe for a known file as well?
>
> Yes if it's going to break silently otherwise. Tracking Linux as a target is
> a nightmare.

I guess you could say that "tracking *BSD is a nightmare" as well, because
the diversity between Linuxes and the diversity between the BSDs
(including Darwin) is probably similar :-)

>> Or else just use stat() on all platforms?
>
> Doesn't sound the nicest plan ever.

What's wrong with stat()? d_type is not in the POSIX standard so we
shouldn't really use it for portable code (IMHO).