[Box Backup] How to regenerate certificate and what's the status of Boxi

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed May 17 17:38:42 BST 2006

Hi Roy,

> After a while I'm again testing the 0.10 server & client and the latest
> MinGW Windows version from Chris. But I'v got a couple of questions
> about the certificates.

Please make sure you're not using version 564 of the Windows client. If
it's not inconvenient, please could you test the new release, version 568?

> If you lose your certificates, but still have your
> <account_id>-FileEncKeys.raw file. How can you regenerate your
> certificates for the client? If you can do that, I suppose you can only
> do that on linux at the moment?

Yes, you can regenerate anything except the file encryption keys. However,
it does require help from the server operator. The client either resubmits
their original certificate request, if they still have that and the
private key. Otherwise, they generate a new key (optional) and a new
certificate request.

The server operator signs the certificate request and returns the
resulting certificate to the client.

> And what do you need from the server? Which certificates and how can you
> regenerate the others? Or do you have to completely backup the CA?

I would definitely recommend that you back up the entire CA, although
technically the server and client keys and root certificates should be
enough.

> And a question to Chris; what's the current status of the rewrite of
> Boxi? Or didn't you have the time to work on it in Ghana yet?

It's still progressing slowly, even while I'm here. I'm writing unit tests
at the moment, and fixing the bugs that I find. I think it's currently
usable to make backups, but not for restoring. It will be a while before
the next release, sorry.