[Box Backup] Re: How can I delete files/directories from the store?

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu May 18 10:19:26 BST 2006

On 18 May 2006, at 10:13, o omida parasita wrote:

>> This is a slightly different question. You're not asking how to
> delete files, you're asking how to delete a location.
>>
>> When you remove a backup location, you will see a message in the logs
> saying it will delete it after two days or so. This counter is reset
> every time you start or restart bbackupd. Have you restarted bbackupd
> in the meantime in those three days?
>>
>> Also, files are only actually physically deleted from the server when
> the space is needed. Being a backup system, it tries to not delete
> data unless it has to.
>>
>> So, check to see if they're marked for deletion. Run the list
> command, see if it's got an 'X' in the flags column. The chances are
> it's marked, and bits of it are being removed as new data is uploaded.
>>
>> Or are you having a problem you're trying to resolve, and not telling
> us the full story?
>
> Actually I restarted the client in this 3 days period so probably I
> will have to wait a little more and see what will happen.

This is why the location hasn't been removed. This is a safety
measure to protect against mistakes in configuration.

> Here is a concern that I have.
> Imagine the following situation:
>          Used    32738.2Mb  99% ***********************************
>     Old files      122.1Mb   0%
> Deleted files     1182.5Mb   2% *
>   Directories      195.3Mb   0%
>    Soft limit    40960.0Mb  90% ************************************
>    Hard limit    45056.0Mb 100%
>
> Suddenly I realise that I need 5GB NOW. I have in deleted and old
> files only 1.3GB. I can't wait 2 days so the removed locations from
> bbackuped.conf are deleted. What do I do in this situation?

Increase the soft and hard limits by 5Gb.

> Isn't
> there a command to manually remove a location/directory/file?

No. If there were, bbackupd would just upload it again.

What you could do is put the Location back in bbackupd.conf, but add
directives to exclude all files within it. Then they'd get marked as
deleted immediately.