[Box Backup] Need to reload bbackupd conf to avoid timeouts?

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 21:36:46 GMT 2006

Hi Tobias,

> I think you are right about the source of my problem. I have never had
> the problem with backups of "smaller" filesystems.
>
> If you could let me try out an alternative version of bbackupd I would
> love to test it.

OK, I'm working on it now.

> There is no need to make any changes on the store right?

No, the store will not be affected, assuming that you are running 0.10
which already has support for keepalives on the store side (I think you
are).

> Still, is it not strange that the problem does not occur after a reloaf
> of the bbackupd.cong file?

No, not strange. Box Backup caches a lot of information on the first run
or after a reload, which requires frequent round trips to the store,
listing the contents of each directory in turn. Once the data is cached
(and not discarded by a reload), subsequent runs may not need to contact
the store at all if nothing has changed, or contact it only for those
directories which have changed.

If you back up a large data set where only a few files change between
runs, you might see a long delay between data requests from the store,
which might cause the SSL layer to time out. Your extended log appears to
show this happening.