[Box Backup] Building Box Backup as Universal Binaries [OS X]

patrick machielse boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 10:35:31 BST 2006

Hi,

I'm trying to build the Box Backup tools (I'm only interested in the
client tools for now) as Universal Binaries for PPC and x86 on Mac OS
X. I've tried the most naive approach first:

export CXXFLAGS="-isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386
-arch ppc"
export LDFLAGS="-Wl,-syslibroot,/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch
i386 -arch ppc"

./configure
make

This _seems_ to complete nicely and builds Universal Binaries. (I've
noticed that the ./configure script does some endian checks but I'm
not sure how/if this impacts building for x86. It could be a problem
because I'm configuring on a PPC machine and building for x86).

My first aim is to build a UB on my PPC machine and make sure that at
least the PPC part of the binary still works. Alas, this is not the
case...

Running the univeral binary bbackupquery on PPC I can connect to the
Box Backup server, but when I try to 'list' the contents I get an:

Exception: Connection TLSReadFailed (Probably a network issue between
client and server.) (7/34)

and the application terminates.

The log file reeds:

Send Version(0x1)
Receive Version(0x1)
Send Login(0x10,0x1)
Receive LoginConfirmed
(0x801ad32d4c1e0400,0x6616000000000000,0x280000000000,0x2c0000000000)
Send ListDirectory(0x1,0xffffffff,0xc,true)

Compare the log of the regular PPC binary bbackupquery session:

Send Version(0x1)
Receive Version(0x1)
Send Login(0x10,0x1)
Receive LoginConfirmed(0x41e4c2dd31a80,0x1666,0x280000,0x2c0000)
Send ListDirectory(0x1,0xffffffff,0xc,true)
Receive Success(0x1)
Receiving stream, size 200
Send Finished()
Receive Finished()

Maybe this points in the direction of a solution.

Has anyone tried a different (== bettter) approach to building
universal binaries?

TIA,

Patrick