[Box Backup] Housekeeping hogging the server

Jamie Neil boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 13:53:44 BST 2006

Ben Summers wrote:
> In the meantime, do you really need to use encrypted backups? If you
> control both the server, the client, and they're both on a network you
> manage, wouldn't rsync be better?

That's the conclusion I'm coming to. The boxbackup system is primarily
for offsite client backups, but I was hoping to use the same platform
for local servers too.

At the moment it's a toss up between rsnapshot (rsync based using hard
links to save space) and rdiff-backup. I think rdiff-backup has the edge
because it can run on the backup server as a non root user.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254