[Box Backup] Housekeeping hogging the server

Ben Summers boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 14:13:14 BST 2006

On 25 Oct 2006, at 13:53, Jamie Neil wrote:

> Ben Summers wrote:
>> In the meantime, do you really need to use encrypted backups? If you
>> control both the server, the client, and they're both on a network
>> you
>> manage, wouldn't rsync be better?
>
> That's the conclusion I'm coming to. The boxbackup system is primarily
> for offsite client backups, but I was hoping to use the same platform
> for local servers too.
>
> At the moment it's a toss up between rsnapshot (rsync based using hard
> links to save space) and rdiff-backup. I think rdiff-backup has the
> edge
> because it can run on the backup server as a non root user.

If you did want to use Box Backup, you could tar the directories up.
If they always have the same filename, then it should be nice and
efficient on bandwidth and disc space.

However, I don't think the server should be using quite so much CPU.
Mostly it'll be waiting for I/O. Could it be another of those lovely
Linux and hardware disagreements?