[Box Backup] Housekeeping hogging the server

Jamie Neil boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Sat Oct 28 19:35:15 BST 2006

Jamie Neil wrote:
> Ben Summers wrote:
>> I'm assuming you mean the bbstored server? Does this 100% CPU usage stop
>> after a while?
>
> Yes I mean the bbstored server, and no it doesn't stop (I let it run for
> about 36 hours and then killed it).

Everything seems to have been working fine for a few days (with the
problem account switched off), so I thought I'd re-enable it and see
what happened.

First I switched it back on the server. No problems. CPU remains normal.

Then I switched it on on the client. Again, no problems. Connections are
being made and data is being backed up, but load on both client and
server seems to be fine.

I made some changes to the backup configuration so that most of the mail
spool is started from scratch. CPU and load averages increase on both
boxes, but never hits 100% for more than a few seconds. Backup continues
over a period of 7 hours with CPU usage generally staying below 50% and
load averages below 1, and then the levels go back to idle. Store has
increased by around 11Gb.

Odd.

I guess I'll have to try backing up from scratch again to see if I can
recreate the problem.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254