[Box Backup] Restore & Compare Issue

Chris Wilson boxbackup at fluffy.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 20:56:30 BST 2007

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007, Matt Brown wrote:

>> > Would using over a VPN be causing any issues related to Exception:
>> > Connection TLSReadFailed (Probably a network issue between client and
>> > server.) (7/34)
>>
>> Not here ... been using BB over ssh tunnel and over IPsec vpn on freebsd
>> with no problems.
>
> Thanks for that, maybe I am taking the error to literaly and its not network
> related at all - could this be a permissions error SSL related ?
>
> BB does run as root so not sure what it cant access.

I think it is network related, unless you have somehow got your
certificates or key files messed up, but in that case I don't think you'd
be able to log in with bbackupquery and get a file listing.

Do you have any huge directories backed up?

How long does the restore run before it fails with TLSReadFailed?

What was the last file that it restored, and how big is that file? Was it
completely restored?

Perhaps we have to do SSL keepalives during restore to keep the connection
open, as we do during backups?

Is there any chance that the VPN tunnel went down during the restore? Or
the Internet connection between client and server? Can you measure any
packet loss on that connection by pinging from client to server while the
restore is running?

Could it perhaps be an MTU problem over the VPN tunnel? Do other things
work over that tunnel? Can you use FTP to transfer large files in both
directions?